Chocolate: Not So Sweet For Your Pet!

Published August 19, 2014

dog-eats-cocolateWhen it comes to pets there seems to be so many unanswered questions that pet owners have. It doesn’t matter if you have a dog or a cat, you’re going to have questions. Even the most experienced pet owners come across new situations where they don’t know the answer and have to either experiment and figure out, or look up information online. Inexperienced pet owners however are bound to have lots of questions. One of the most popular question that new dog owners have concerns the consumption of chocolate. Is it bad? What can I do to prevent my dog from chocolate poisoning? Questions like these are found all across the world in new dog owners, so let me help and I try to clarify them.

First off, dogs can get chocolate poisoning from chocolate; more specifically, it’s the theobromine as well as the caffeine in chocolate that dogs can have bad reactions to. Too much theobromine and it could be fatal, so really be sure to have a cautious eye on your dog if you know chocolate is in the house. How much theobromine is fatal? It really depends on the dog, but you can actually find toxicity calculators online. A typical toxic dose of theobromine is about two pounds though. If you dog consumes a hefty amount of chocolate, there are some steps you need to take. Right away you need to obviously take the chocolate away and make sure the dog doesn’t have any wrappers stuck in its mouth; this could lead to choking. Lots of dog owners will try to get their dog to throw up, but unless you’re medically instructed to do so the best thing to do is to take your dog to the vet right away. Animal poison control is also available, I’d recommend whichever can get there sooner. Some common symptoms of chocolate poisoning are muscle contractions, rapid breathing along with increased heart rate, excessive vomiting, and even seizures.

It’s a hard thing to deal with especially since chocolate is almost glorified to us, but understanding what to do as a new dog owner is very important. But let’s say you don’t have a dog, and instead, you have a cat. There are lots of questions new cat owners have about cats too – especially concerning purring. Honestly, I don’t even think we really know for sure why cats purr. Cats purr when they are giving birth, when they are feeling contempt, when they want attention, to communicate, but also cats can purr to heal. Purring has recently been linked to the healing of muscles and tissue. The rapid movement of the diaphragmatic muscles produce the purr, but the vibrations help relax muscles and eventually lead to the easing of pain. Who knew a cats purr could do all that?!

No Response to “Chocolate: Not So Sweet For Your Pet!”

Comments are closed.